The Ultimate Techno-Breakfast
We all know that getting out of bed can be difficult. The temptation to stay under that warm duvet is for some, too strong. Even though breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it is all too easy to put it off. But wouldn’t it be so much better if we improved it with technology?
This challenge invites entrants to come up with creative ways to use technology to improve the bed and breakfast routine. For example, these could include:
- Automatic drinks preparation
- Automated breakfast preparation
- Internet-enabled alarm clock that sets according to your schedule, or starts your toaster when you wake up
- One thing that there is never enough of in the morning is time – A good solution to this problem reduces the duration of the morning routine.
- Many household devices have no computer “brain”, however with an Arduino or Raspberry Pi they can be “hacked” to become much smarter devices.
- Smart devices are, by their nature, vulnerable to security flaws and attacks. An extended solution to this challenge may investigate not just a smarter morning routine, but a more securely connected morning routine.
Some Starting Points
- Those considering voice control may want to investigate this tool: Houndify voice control
- The Internet of Things (IoT) is a much-used term to describe the connecting of smart devices and sensors to the Internet, or at least to a local network. Can this be applied to improve the morning routine? We’ll be using ESP8266 boards to connect our Arduinos and/or Pis to the internet.